Thursday, October 9, 2008

Snoopy Hockey 2007

I recently played in the big Snoopy Senior Hockey Tournament in Santa Rosa. This was the third year I've played in this event, and it was a wonderful time. In past years I've just driven up for the games and didn't stay over. This year, however, I got a room at a nice hotel and made a vacation out of it. Staying there for the entire tournament made for a fundamentally different and more rewarding experience, which I'll elaborate on in a bit.
Breaking out of the zone (I'm in the foreground)
This year I played with the Michigan 50s. It's a team composed primarily of ex-University of Michigan players, with the odd recruit added. I graduated from UofM, but didn't play hockey there, so I'm many levels below most of these guys. Despite that, they were all very nice folks and welcomed me generously. Unfortunately, three of the best players from last year's 50s team were unable to make it this year, so we were undermanned and shorhanded too.
Michigan brought two teams to the tournament, the Michigan 50s and Michigan 60s. I'm happy to report the 60s team won all their games and claimed the gold again this year. They had a great all around team with some highly skilled forwards, stalwart defensemen, and solid goaltending. They also had a full compliment of three lines, which is great to see. Next year we really have to do some recruiting and stock up the 50s team! They are also trying to field a 40s team, but have not been able to get enough players yet. Come on out you young guys, this is tremendous fun!
The Champions of the 60s division
The hockey is a great time, but it's only part of the enjoyable experience of this event. That why staying with the boys for the week was so much fun. There were sing-alongs pretty much every night at the hotel pool, BBQs, hiking, canoeing, golf, and a variety of other activities. Not much down time, as there was always something to do. There are always tailgate parties going on after the games, which is another great aspect of this event. Many of my friends from the local SF area hockey leagues and pickup games were playing on other teams, so tried to watch some of their games as well.
Gerry Andel performing
At the end of the week, we all had dinner together and talked about the experiences of the week. One thing that really struck me, particularly at that time, was what good friendships these fellows maintained over such a long time, fostered by their love of hockey. Some of these guys knew each other from juniors, yet they still get together, even as some of them near 70, to enjoy comradarie and sport. That made me appreciate even more how well I was treated as a newcomer and rookie of the group. I hope I'll be able to play with these guys for many years to come and build the kind of friendships I saw there.
I'm already looking foward to next year. Go Blue!

No comments: