Thursday, October 9, 2008

Gas prices and Hypocrisy

A few nights ago I was watching the local news (pre-hurricane). They were running a story about the increasing price of gas. The correspondent, attempting some strange verisimilitude, was 'reporting' from a gas station as she filled her giant SUV.
It occurs to me that the people complaining most vociferously about gas prices are the ones that have caused them to rise: those that perseveringly insist on driving gas-guzzlers despite all evidence that this is an economically and environmentally unsustainable thing to do. These people are also the most ardent supply-side conservatives, and yet they don't understand the most fundamental principle of capitalism: that (their) high demand causes prices to rise.
Furthermore, these same conservatives can't acknowledge the connection between oil revenues and the financing of radical Islam. Instead, I've seen ads admonishing people not to smoke pot, because that supports terrorism! Holy crap what a diversion.
On what do I base these assertions? I'll admit I haven't done an exhaustive scientific study to support these claims. However, I see enough Escalades and Excursions on the roads with pro-Bush, pro-war bumper stickers to form a reasonable generalization. Hey, lady with the "I support the troops"-yellow ribbon on the back of your behemoth: you are the reason they are there getting killed.
So what am I doing differently? I have a small car. I was carpooling almost every day, but my carpool companion is not working any more, so I'm resorting to a different approach now. I'll be taking the train as often as possible. We're also going to turn our guest bedroom into a home office, so I'll be able to work from home a fair amount too. Anything to avoid getting in the car.

No comments: