Sunday, November 16, 2008

Michigan 2008

I was able to visit Ann Arbor again this fall, much as I did last fall (similar time of the year).  I had a wonderful time again this trip, seeing family and lot of friends.  

In addition the normal activities, I was able to attend a couple of UM hockey games during my visit.  UM defeated Niagara and Ohio State in some good, close, exciting games.  Michigan once again has a fine team this year despite losing several of their top players to injury and one to a pro contract.  They would be an odds-on frozen four favorite if everyone were available.  Their prospects are still pretty darn good, though.

I also had the opportunity to skate in a top-notch pickup game.  Kip Mauer, a friend with whom I've played in the Snoopy tournament, invited me to play in a UM alumni game.  The level of speed and skill in that game was far above anything I've experienced.  I was the only one on the ice that wasn't a former UM hockey player.  Everyone there was much better than I, but it was a fun experience, and it was nice meeting the boys.  I also played a game with a great group of 60s, who have a regular pickup.  They let me skate with them although I'm a 'young' nearly 53.

My buddy George and I were able to do what I hope will become an annual trip: an autumn paddle down the Huron River from a ways above Hudson Mills down to Delhi.  We had a great time once again.  The trout were running strong, the weather was perfect, and we were treated to a special show: an osprey took a trout from the river right in front of us.  He even followed us down the river for awhile with the fish in his talons.  We saw lot of other fowl including blue herons, ducks, and so on.  Last year we saw some wild turkeys and a huge buck, but they were shy this year.  We also stopped at the Dexter Cider Mill, which now offers wine tasting.  I picked up some wine and cider there.  Some time I'd like to canoe the entire river from the chain of lakes down to Lake Erie.

Hooked up with my friend David and his girlfriend Jill, my friend Steve, and my friends Melita and Jim.  It's just nice seeing these fine people.  Wish I could do it more often.  

Steve and I also attended a physics lecture at the UM Natural History Museum.  The speaker was Aaron Pierce, a young physicist who presented on the Large Hadron Collider, something in which I have great interest.

Family is important, and I was able to visit mom, brother Mark, sister Meg, cousin Sue, aunt Gretchen, and all my nieces (but one): Meredith, Lydia, Jenna, and Jessica.  (Missed Kelsey, who was away at college.)

Hope I'm able to make it back there soon.  Check out pictures from my trip here.  (Pics from last year are here.)

No comments: