Monday, November 10, 2008

GAS Attack

Among guitarists, GAS stands for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. As a victim, I've added yet another guitar to my quiver. The latest is the innovative Voyage Air Guitar. Invented by Harvey Leach, a California Luthier, this guitar is conventional in all respects except one: It has a hinged neck that enables it to fold in half! Thus it can be carried on planes in its cool custom backpack, eliminating the hazards of checking one's guitar as luggage and putting it at the mercy of brutal and careless baggage handlers.

The nice folks at Fine Fretted Friends in Livermore, CA lent me a prototype of this cool guitar last summer to use for a week. That convinced me that this is the best travel guitar out there by a long way. Most travel guitars must compromise sound or playability to accommodate the restrictions of carry-on sizing. The Voyage Air solves these problems and provides not only a great sounding guitar, but a one that gives you the same feel and playing experience of a normal guitar. No more short scales, no more wedging a small body under your arm to effect a reasonable playing position, no more thin or tinny sound from reduced body cavity.

I can see taking this guitar many more places than I would a conventional guitar, not just for air travel but for day-to-day activities. It's just that much easier to port around.

I got the VAOM1-C. Will post pictures of my guitar in actual use at some time in the near future.

No comments: